Friday, October 9, 2009

A package, and waiting on pins and needles

Months and months ago, I'd pre-ordered the long-awaited re-print of Paolo Roversi's Studio. I can still kick myself for not ponying up the $300 to buy it new when I could (the going rate for a first edition copy in good condition is roughly $1750-2000 these days). Anyhow, this morning it came. Pretty much just on time for my birthday, co-incidentally. Roughly 11x14 format, cloth-bound, quite beautiful. And only $50. Get yours (they're available on Amazon if not at your friendly local book seller) while you can.

Anyhow, from tomorrow (Saturday) until Wednesday, I will be on pins and needles until the US qualifies for the World Cup, which they can do with either a win (or a draw and a Costa Rican loss vs Trinidad & Tobago) this Saturday down in Honduras, or else back home in the semi-cozy confines of RFK stadium in DC against the Costa Ricans, where even a draw will be enough to see us through to South Africa next summer. The Hondurans are actually a very talented bunch and I expect a loss on the road, though we'd beaten them in Chicago. Against the Ticos on Wednesday I expect nothing less than a win. The trick is a number of players one yellow card away from suspension in the final game. Does coach Bradley save them for a sure win on Weds, or do we go for broke on Sat?

My personal starting line-up for Saturday's game down in San Pedro Sula, considering that Dempsey's got a shoulder injury, and Rico's a yellow-card risk (I'd be playing it safe and go for the sure win on Weds):

--------------Ching-----Davies--------------------
--Feilhaber---------------------------Donovan---
---------------Torres----Bradley------------------
Hejduk---Bocanegra---Onyewu---Cherundolo
-------------------Howard-------------------------

Bench: Guzan, Spector, Conrad, Clark, Holden, Altidore, Cooper

Here's a silly link to follow re: our impressively towering center back Oguchi Onyewu (better known simply as Gooch). I can't help myself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAj5anhJRJg

I can semi-guarantee that I'll be at Nevada Smith's on Sat night for the game. It's on closed-circuit pay-per-view only (damn Honduran FA!). 3rd Ave between 11th and 12th St. Or was that 10th and 11th? I always forget... Game starts 10pm Eastern time.

(In case I haven't warned you all before, soccer is my part-time passion. Wine is my other.)

And in other news, last night I'd opened a lovely bottle of 1994 Ch Latour a Pomerol. I give it 90-91 points. ;)

(Just clearing out my random obsessions all in one stroke.)

This was Michele, who is now a mommy.

2 comments:

Lee Gillies said...

Looking forward to a great group game with England in SA. :o)

The Camera Eye said...

Lovely photographs.